Evaluation of licensed employees on their skills, abilities, and competence is an ongoing process supervised by the building principals and conducted by approved evaluators. The goal of the formal evaluation of licensed employees, other than administrators, but including extracurricular employees, is to improve the education program, to maintain licensed employees who meet or exceed the board’s standards of performance, to clarify the licensed employee’s role, to ascertain the areas in need of improvement, to clarify the immediate priorities of the board, and to develop a working relationship between the administrators and other employees.
The formal evaluation criteria is in writing and approved by the board. The formal evaluation will provide an opportunity for the evaluator and the licensed employee to discuss performance and the future areas of growth. The formal evaluation is completed by the evaluator, signed by the licensed employee and filed in the licensed employee’s personnel file. This policy supports, and does not preclude, the ongoing informal evaluation of the licensed employee’s skills, abilities and competence.
Licensed employees will be required to:
- Demonstrate the ability to enhance academic performance and support for and implementation of the school district’s student achievement goals.
- Demonstrate competency in content knowledge appropriate to the teaching position.
- Demonstrate competency in planning and preparation for instruction.
- Use strategies to deliver instruction that meets the multiple learning needs of students.
- Use a variety of methods to monitor student learning.
- Demonstrate competence in classroom management.
- Engage in professional growth.
- Fulfill professional responsibilities established by the school district.
It is the responsibility of the superintendent to ensure licensed employees are evaluated. New and probationary licensed employees are evaluated at least twice each year.
Legal Reference: Iowa Code §§ 20.9; 279, 284, 294.
Aplington Community School District v. PERB, 392 N.W.2d 495 (Iowa 1986).
Saydel Education Association v. PERB, 333 N.W.2d 486 (Iowa 1983).
281 I.A.C. 83; 12.3
Cross Reference: 405.2 Licensed Employee Qualifications, Recruitment, Selection
405.9 Licensed Employee Probationary Status
Approved 2/8/2022 Reviewed Revised