In pursuit of world-class education that results in high achievement for all Iowa students, as an effective school boards, we will:
1. VISIONARY TEAM: Operate as a visionary governance team in partnership with the superintendent.
- Vision and Planning – Develops a shared vision and plans for student achievement that reflects common values and core beliefs of the school community.
- Operating Practices – Uses productive practices for its own operations and development.
- Decision-Making – Ensures board decisions are based on data and deliberation.
- Board/Superintendent Relations – Cultivates a strong relationship and partnership with the superintendent, based on clear expectations and accountability.
2. STUDENT LEARNING: Provide effective leadership for quality instruction and high, equitable student learning.
- Clear Expectations – Sets and communicates high expectations for student learning with clear goals and a focus on strengthening instruction.
- Conditions for Success – Supports conditions for success through board actions and decisions.
- Accountability – Holds the system accountable to reach student learning goals.
- Collective Commitment – Builds the collective commitment of community and staff to achieve the student learning goals.
- Team Learning – Learns together as a whole team to inform decision-making around the student learning goals.
3. DISTRICT CULTURE: Foster a culture that enables excellence and innovation.
- High Quality Staff – Empowers the superintendent in hiring and developing the best employees available to meet the district’s goals.
- Shared Leadership – Supports structures that develop instructional leadership and collaboration.
- Staff Learning – Supports research-based staff professional development aligned with district goals.
- Environment – Fosters a safe and secure environment for all students, staff, and visitors.
4. POLICY & LEGAL: Lead through sound policy, ensuring transparent, ethical, legal operations.
- Policy Leadership – Develops sound, written policy to clarify the board’s intent for district direction.
- Legal – Ensures that board and district actions are in compliance with state and federal laws, appropriately addressing legal issues when they arise.
- Ethics – Models ethical and legal behaviors which enable the board to stay focused on district goals.
- Transparency – Establishes policies and ensures processes that are open and accountable.
5. FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Sustain and enhance district resources through planning and fiduciary oversight.
- Financial Health – Monitors and evaluates the financial health of the district, ensuring accountability and transparency in board decision making.
- Financial Forecasting – Ensures strong financial planning for the district.
- Budgeting – Ensures the district budget aligns with district goals and multi-year plans.
- Risk Oversight – Ensures sufficient risk management is in place to protect district resources.
- Facilities –Ensures school facilities enhance and enrich student and staff learning.
6. ADVOCACY: Advocate for public education and the needs of Iowa students.
- Championing Local Governance & Public Education – Clearly articulates and advocates for the value of public education and the important role of local school governance.
- Legislative Advocacy – Develops and strengthens on-going relationships with policymakers around improving student achievement and the needs of public education.
- Community Engagement – Fosters engagement and collaboration with all stakeholders to ensure high and equitable student learning.
District 2019-2020 Strategic Priorities
- Increased student learning and readiness
- High-quality curriculum, instruction and assessment in every classroom
- Safe and supportive learning and working environment
- Improved resource development and efficient management of the organization, operations and resources/facilities
- Family and community engagement and support